Journalist (News/Current Affairs)
Reporting to: Director of Productions
Location: Ilford, Essex
Hours: Full time 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday (Flexibility required to work weekends, bank holidays and additional hours)
Salary: Competitive and based on knowledge, skills & experience
Company: Islam Channel – Sky 727/Virgin 838
Can you write compelling scripts without the ‘waffle’? Can you find intriguing stories and contributors relevant to a target audience? Are you capable of sourcing stories the mainstream may have missed?
Islam Channel is the UK’s largest Muslim-focused network, producing a wide range of programmes across a variety of disciplines. It uses multiple platforms to reach thousands of viewers in over 100 countries worldwide.
This role will suit an individual fluent in English, tasked with producing high quality content for a Muslim-majority audience around the world. You will be responsible for producing, originating, preparing and presenting news stories, reports, packages, interviews, discussions, background analysis and features. You must be able to use social media to maximise output, including using it to source relevant stories.
The ideal candidate will be results driven and thrive in a culturally diverse environment, eager to work on interesting and varied projects.
Broadcast Journalist duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- You will not only be involved in writing articles / features for submission to the senior programme editor; you will also select material for broadcast, check style, grammar, accuracy and legality of content and arrange for any necessary revisions.
- You will determine subject matter and undertake research by interviewing, attending public events, seeking out records, reviewing written work, attending film and stage performances etc
- You may be required to produce and present the content on TV or on line. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre and post production and studio work, live and pre-recorded.
- Communicating production information and requirements clearly to other production staff, and working with them on devising shoot schedules.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines staffing and resources available
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques
- Significant experience writing and producing relevant content to the highest standards
- Ability to write in English to extremely tight and changing deadlines
- Strong knowledge of current affairs, including political, international affairs and cultural issues, is essential.
- Demonstrable experience editing pictures and graphics on an unfolding story and putting them straight to air
- Confidence in front of a camera and an ‘on air’ presence
- Outstanding analytical skills and ability to absorb, extract and present information in a clear and understandable way
- The ability to build rapport and to handle interactions with sensitivity, empathy and diplomacy while maintaining impartiality
- Excellent interviewing and listening skills
- An eye for a story, with an ability to generate original ideas and the confidence to pitch to staff
- Proven ability to book top level guests
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively and adopts the most appropriate role
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
- Minimum of 2-3 years previous relevant experience, although some training will be provided.
- Degree level or above
Please submit an updated CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the category you wish to apply.
Please note only successful applicants will be contacted
Islam Channel is committed to building an international and culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups.